Kitchen renovations are the most common type of large scale home renovation and it’s easy to understand why. The kitchen is the beating heart of the home, the place where food is shared, where family members say goodbye to one another in the morning and greet each other at the end of the day. Kitchens also play a central role in parties and holiday get-togethers. But kitchen renovations can be expensive, so it’s understandable that people would put them off. There comes a time though, when delay no longer works. In this post we’ll look at 5 signs that it’s time to renovate the kitchen.
Things That Indicate Kitchen Renovations are in Order
Sometimes remodeling is a choice. Sometimes it’s a necessity. Here are 5 indications that kitchen renovations should be moved to the top of the “to do” list.
- Nothing works the way it should: Cabinet doors don’t close all the way and the drawers stick. Water leaking from under the sink has stained the floor. You have to work the knobs to get the burners on the stove to light. You ran out of storage space in 1993, the same year you bought the dishwasher. You’re using power strips to accommodate all the electrical appliances and the recessed light over the sink doesn’t work for some unknown reason. Time to renovate.
- It’s not charming, it’s ugly: There’s a difference between a retro kitchen and one that’s hopelessly worn and out of date. Some homeowners in Richmond Hill and Aurora try to convince themselves their kitchen is the former when actually it’s the latter. Worn out kitchens may make a good subject for art photography but they drag down the look and feel of the entire house. If your kitchen has grown ugly it’s time to renovate.
- Cooking is W.O.R.K.: A kitchen should facilitate your culinary efforts, not hamper them. If your kitchen has come together over the years through a kind of accretion it’s likely that cooking is no longer fun. Things that should be at arm’s length are across the room, things that should be safely tucked away are instead always in the way and the counter space is being used to store pots and pans. If the kitchen is a logistical nightmare it’s time to renovate.
- You want to sell the house: You could leave renovating the kitchen to the next owner but if you don’t renovate it yourself there may not be a next owner. Real estate agents know an ugly kitchen is often a deal breaker. So your efforts to save money by passing the kitchen renovations baton may instead wind up causing your home to linger on the market with any offers being far below what you consider acceptable.
- You don’t like your present kitchen: The biggest sign that it’s time to renovate the kitchen is that it’s worn out its welcome with you. Maybe a few years ago you were still enamoured of certain aspects of the kitchen for sentimental reasons but now you’d rather have a kitchen that works and one you’re proud to show off to your friends and neighbours. If you let out a heavy sigh every time you walk into the kitchen it’s time to renovate.
If some or all of the above renovation warning signs are staring you in the face call Snider Homes and let us help you design the kitchen of your dreams for a price that won’t generate nightmares. We’ve been serving Aurora, Richmond Hill and the rest of the GTA for more than 95 years. Let us serve you.